QVMAG's first Cosplay event is out of this world!
Media release – Issued Saturday 30 July 2021
Cosplay fans have been summoned to dust off their stormtrooper helmet or whip out a sonic screwdriver for QVMAG's Summer of Sci-FiCosplay Day.
On Sunday 31 January, the QVMAG Museum at Inveresk will host an action-packed day of fun for cosplay fans.
Activities on the day include:
- A cosplay costume competition with prizes for the best-created costume.
- Improvised performances in a cosplay skit workshop. Cosplayers are invited to perform famous scenes from sci-fi pop culture with spot prizes for best performances.
- Create your own cosplay accessories from recycled material in the QVMAG Make it Place.
- Live screenings of The Martian and Interstellar in the Auditorium.
- A sneak peek of the Planetarium Premiere before its official re-opening on 9 February.
- Swap and sell cosplay stalls with costumes, accessories and memorabilia.
The celebration is the final chapter of the QVMAG's Summer of Sci-Fi, a science fiction-inspired takeover of the Museum at Inveresk that commenced in November 2020.
General Manager of Creative Arts and Cultural Services Tracy Puklowski said the Summer of Sci-Fi has been a way to engage with the passionate cosplay community. "QVMAG is proud to be hosting the first Cosplay event in Tasmania since lockdown. So much of what drives us at QVMAG is providing opportunities for our community to connect and have fun. This event is going to be a fabulous way to celebrate summer with Cosplay fans (and spectators) and share in the cosmic world of science fiction."
QVMAG's Summer of SciFi Cosplay Day runs from 10.30am to 4pm on Sunday 31 January.